Forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Michigan House Bill 5613
March 4, 2010
5:04 pm
crispy275
Admin
Forum Posts: 32

The original address I found on the MI LCC website was incorrect (or it is just a mailing address). The correct location is: Lansing Office of the Commission, 7150 Harris Drive, Dimondale, Michigan.

The Lansing Liquor Control Commission office is located at

7150 Harris Dr. Take I-96 to Lansing Rd South (exit 98A).

Take the first Right onto S Canal Rd, and the first left onto Ricks

Rd. Turn Right onto Harris Dr.

February 26, 2010
10:31 am
crispy275
Admin
Forum Posts: 32

Michigan HB 5613 appears to have the support from the State Representatives that have been contacted about this issue, but we have been informed that the Michigan Liquor Commission is currently opposed. If they remain opposed, State Representative Doug Geiss stated that this bill will not pass.

I sent the following email to State Representative Doug Geiss, whose staff will compile all responses and present them to the MI LCC. If it helps you compose your own thoughts – great. Again, send them to douglasgeiss@house.mi.gov. I hope to make the meeting with the MI LCC on March 11th, work permitting. If anyone else knows that they are going, please let me know and we can meet up prior to the 11:00am meeting time.

February 26, 2010

Ms. Nida Samona, Chairperson

Michigan Liquor Control Commission

7150 Harris Drive

Dimondale , Michigan 48909-7505

(Editor's note: The Lansing Liquor Control

Commission office is located at 7150 Harris Dr. Take I-96 to

Lansing Rd South (exit 98A). Take the first Right onto S Canal

Rd, and the first left onto Ricks Rd. Turn Right onto Harris Dr.)

Dear Nida Samona,

I am writing you today to state that I support HB 5613, a bill that amends previous Michigan Liquor Control code. ((http://www.legislature.mi.gov/.....B-5613.htm). The proposed modifications will permit a Michigan micro brewery or brew pub to provide a venue that involves the sampling and consumption on their licensed premise of beer produced by home brewers at a meeting of home brewers.

I have been an active homebrewer in Michigan for the last 15 years, and during this time I have been an officer and/or member of two outstanding homebrew clubs. Additionally, I am the Chairman of the American Homebrewers Association (AHA), a not-for-profit organization that represents the nations approximately 750,000 homebrewers (http://www.homebrewersassociat.....-committee).

I have also been recently elected to the Brewers Association Board of Directors, the parent organization of the AHA (http://www.brewersassociation......-directors), and start my duties next month.

I provided this context because I wanted to make the point that there is a natural symbiotic relationship between professional and amateur brewers. Virtually all commercial microbreweries and brewpubs are started by or hire brewers who have learned via homebrewing. Professional brewers continue to be inspired by trends and endeavors in the homebrew community. And in turn, homebrewers act as ambassadors to local microbreweries and brew pubs, and support the jobs and products of these local businesses.

Over the years, various Michigan Microbreweries and Brew Pubs have supported homebrew clubs with gifts and financial support for our competitions and activities, and they have indicated a desire to offer space for meetings.  In the past, homebrewing competitions were sometimes judged in these facilities. In turn, we purchased meals and beverages that provided economic benefit to our hosts.

Recently, I contacted the MI LCC to obtain clarity of the rules around this activity and found out that indeed, this was not allowed. Because of this, we realized we have put our hosts at risk. HB 5613 seeks to rectify this.

State representative Douglas Geiss, informed me that the MI LCC recently voiced concern with the usage of the word "exhibitions". This language was borrowed  from the 1979 Federal Statue that allows for citizens to produce their own homebrew (United States Code Title 27, Part 25, Subpart L, Section 25.205 and Section 25.206 – Beer For Personal or Family Use), which states, in part:  "…Removal of beer.- Beer made under §25.205 may be removed from the premises where made for personal or family use including use at organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions such as homemaker's contests, tastings or judging. Beer removed under this section may not be sold or offered for sale."

I understand that you will have a quarterly meeting on March 11th at 11:00am at your office, and that you will welcome comments on the proposed bill. I will endeavor to attend in person, but if my work does not allow for this timing, I wanted to express my thoughts and share them with you.

In closing, I would like to add that homebrewers advocate the responsible consumption of adult beverages and provide strong support local by selecting and purchasing Michigan produced beers. I welcome your thoughts and I look forward to having the opportunity to influence your department's position on HB 5613 away from opposition.

Sincerely,

Christopher Frey

(w) cfrey@ford.com        (h) Crispy275@comcast.net

(w) 313-390-2339           (h) 734-944-0469

Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 7

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Mike O'Brien: 46